Thursday, April 23, 2009

Ever since I was playing with one-inch tall green army soldiers on the dirt floor of a barn in Central Texas in 1955, I have wanted to build an “indestructible” concrete building that would last 500 years. The plan was set into my brain a couple of years later when my younger brother and I discovered that there was an old well about 20 feet deep on the back side of the ranch where we grew up. When we were about 8 and 9 years old, we used a rope to lower ourselves into that well and pretend it was a fort.

Now, at age 60, the company I own has built a datacenter on the 2 acres at Lake Travis where our office is located. It has tons of concrete and steel, no windows, and steel doors. There is even steel on the roof under a 4-inch concrete slab. It may not last 500 years, but it’s going to be very difficult for someone to tear down someday.

Why a datacenter? I must confess that one of my greatest fears as a small business person is that fire will destroy all of our assets. Insurance would help, but loss of everything would certainly damage or even destroy the business as well. It’s worse if some of the assets are not yours. I wanted to make sure that if my company became the guardian of the legacy hp3000’s of our customers, with all of their confidential data, we would be very sure that we would not lose anything or ever have to stop processing because of fire.

Ain’t it funny how mere ideas turn into reality, sometimes many years late? And reality bites us when we least expect it. Are you prepared for the worst? Systems redundancy is one possible way to protect your own company’s valuable assets and your own sanity. Ask us how we can help you cover your assets.

No comments: